Sunday, July 2, 2017

Photographing Food Is A New Trend

It's Saturday night. You and your friends are out to eat at a new restaurant in town. The waitress comes and places all the plates of food down on the table. Yet instead of eating it while it's hot, everyone takes a picture of it for social media instead.

Why has posting food become the new pre-meal trend?

Maybe it's because our generation is obsessed with advertising every aspect of our daily lives on social media, and since we eat three meals a day broadcasting our food becomes essential.

But it also could be due to the fact that food has become 'cool'. Just look at Martha Stewart and Snoop Dogg's new show that aired November 7, 2016. Who would have ever expected Martha Stewart, a 75 year old woman who started a catering business in her basement in 1976, to pair with Snoop Dogg, a 45 year old American rapper? See a clip of their show here:


This show is the epitome of what the food culture has turned into in recent years. Maybe it isn't entirely a bad thing, as people are more conscious of what they are eating and care more about things like food presentation. But as people are snapping pictures of their food, they are failing to appreciate the moment as it happens and are once again living life through a glass screen.

I am just interested in how long the trend will last... 

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit that I do sometimes take a picture of my food when I go out to eat, but more often I find myself taking a picture of the food that I have cooked and plated for myself or my husband and then posting that on social media or sending it to friends and family members. Are we obsessed with food? Absolutely! Social media allows people to express and profess that obsession, along with documenting our daily activities. When other people post food pictures, I wonder are they just showing off, saying 'Look at me. Look where I am. Look what I am eating'. Do you think this could be part of the culture, as well?

    ReplyDelete